When you decide to change your lifestyle and adopt some healthy habits so to get rid of fat and weight, it is not enough just to take care of the nutrition; you will have to sweat out a bit, too. Exercise is a must when it comes to getting fit.
While some love going to the gym and exercising on various equipment, others would rather avoid that option. Be it for not so cheap membership cards, a crowd and/or the time needed to get to the gym and back home, it does not mean at all that workout is a lost cause for you. You can do it all at home!
We bring you the list of 5 amazing and effective exercises that you can do right there on your apartment’s floor and still get fabulous results.
Crunches are a great exercise aimed at strengthening and toning up the abdominal muscle group. They will help you get rid of belly fat and have more defined stomach.
Technique is simple, and goes as it follows:
- Lie down on the floor on your back, with knees bent.
- Keep both feet steady and flat on the floor. Note: when you master the beginner level crunch you may try to do the exercise with feet held up in the air
- Hold your hands behind your head, and slowly pull up your torso until you reach knees. Make sure to do the pull – up relying on your abdominal muscles, since that is the target, otherwise it will not be effective and you risk a back injury.
- Do as many reps as you can, always making sure to keep the body in the right position, and gradually increase the number of reps as you progress.
The bicycle crunch is a great exercise for building up and shaping your abdominal muscles because it works out multiple abs – groups. At the same time it makes the hearth pump harder, so it is also a great cardio workout. Add bicycle crunches to your daily exercise routine and you will get rid of fat and carve out your abs to perfection.
At the beginning, do the exercises slowly and gradually increase the speed as you progress. Instructions:
- Lie back on the floor and hold your hands behind the head
- Slowly lift up your upper part while at the same time lifting the knees towards the chest until you reach 90 degree angle
- When you get into this position, straighten out your right leg and at the same time push your right elbow towards the left knee
- Repeat, alternating the legs
Squats are a great exercise for abdominal and lower body muscle groups. They are perfect for getting rid of fat and shaping the glutes. We bring you the instructions on how to de them properly so to get the maximum results. Do not give up when you feel the burn; that means you are doing it right!
– Stand with your feet shoulder – width apart. Placing them too close may cause damage to your ligaments and by placing them too apart you risk damage to your knees
– Keep your arms straight in front of you. That will help you keep the balance
– Bend your knees and lower down as if you are going to sit on a chair until your thighs are as much as possible parallel to the floor
Pushups target multiple muscle groups in the chest, shoulders and arms. Since several muscle groups are active, your heart has to work harder; therefore this type of exercise will enhance your cardiovascular health as well. It is very effective for stretching and building up muscle mass.
How to do the pushups right:
- Place your hands on the floor. Their position will determine which muscles will be mostly targeted. If you place your hands wider, chest muscles are in greater focus, and if you place them closer, the focus is on triceps.
- Your body weight is held up on feet and hands. Use your arms to lift yourself up off the floor and keep your feet on the tiptoes.
- Bend the elbows and lower your body towards the floor until you almost touch it.
- Push back upwards, and repeat the movement. Do as many reps as you can, always making sure to keep the body in the right position, and gradually increase the number of reps as you progress.
Plank is one of the most popular exercises, and it is absolutely ideal method to strengthen all the core muscles. Like with any other exercise, it is important to learn how to do it right. Only in that way you will reach the desired results and prevent yourself from getting injured. For the perfect plank, follow these steps:
- Lie face down on a mat
- Place the forearms on the floor shoulder – width apart, palms down
- Keep both feet on tiptoes and your back straight
- Pull your body up using the abdominal muscles
- Support your weight with shoulders, forearms and toes
- Hold the position